10 Reasons Why…
1. The vibe: where else can you enjoy top-notch live music for free on a shady patch of grass surrounded by happy dogs, kids, parents and friends?
2. The unusual products you will find there – from bacon jam (Stone &Thistle Farm) to radicchio marmalade (Anna Maria’s Foods).
3. The variety of fresh ingredients from enoki mushrooms to blowfish to locally-grown turmeric and ginger, a testament to our outstanding farmer and vendor line-up.
4. Joe Tomato’s mozzarella made hours before market each Saturday.
5. Ridiculously EASY and ABUNDANT parking.
6. The convenience of having an on-site knife sharpener as well as the town’s “Take it or Leave it” shed in the parking lot. Bring your unwanted lamps, dartboards, and armchairs to the shed and, if you’re lucky, walk away with a cool new French basket to carry your market haul.
7. Rose, our one-of-a-kind, on-site market manager who can answer any and all questions from “what do to with rutabaga” to the health benefits of Kombucha.
8. The weekly kids’ activities – from petting zoo to circus camp.
9. You can feel the love! There is an obvious camaraderie among vendors at the market. Most have been there since Day One!
10. The prepared food offerings that make you want to linger: The Three Little Pigs BBQ truck, the Dough Nation Pizza Truck (have you tried their lemon pie?) and of course Mrs. D’s moussaka, Mangalitsa’s cheese brats and VN To Go’s pho and summer rolls packed with market ingredients.
Don’t forget to vote!
Pascale Le Draoulec
food writer/ farmer’s market director
author: “American Pie:Slices of Life (and Pie) from America’s Back Roads” (HarperCollins)